Monday, February 26, 2007

Whoops.....not so anonymous blogging

Some teachers blog as a means of journaling, venting or seeking out comments from other teachers.

One teacher listed as "hipteacher" has an anonymous blog, but was discovered by two of her students. In her blog, she expresses her concerns about this discovery and emphasizes the importance of monitoring what you are writing with the idea that a student COULD find it.

In her blog she writes:

The She's Back FAQ:

1. So why’d you stop writing anyway?

The main reason is that a couple of my students found this blog. Fortunately, they were two students who I adored and respected, Miguel and Coco Rectangle III, so I explained why I kept the blog and why it was important that it be anonymous. Being more mature than your typical ninth graders, they understood, and to my knowledge, didn’t spread the information around to other students. Even so, I worried.

My school was pretty darn small and, even though I don’t think I was writing fire-worthy dirt (at least for my open-minded, liberal district), I felt like the students would easily recognize themselves or their classmates in my posts. The more I thought about it, the more that bothered me. I feel like my kids usually learn to trust me, and writing about them felt a little like a betrayal of that trust. I mean, I get it, and you get it, but would they get it? Probably not.

I took a break from blogging as I thought about all this, and like most habits, it was hard to start again once I had stopped. However, I learned from the experience. For one, I realized even more that blogging is a real conversation rather than a journal/meditation/reflection with oneself.

What started for me as a solitary act, a way to organize my teaching reflections and journals, became connected with the writing of others. It sounds simplistic, but I didn’t get it before my break. Just like two friends who talk everyday, if one stops calling the other or walking by the other’s classroom to chat, the conversation ends. You know how sometimes your cell phone will suddenly act all weird, and the other person can’t hear you anymore, even though you’re still there? There’s just no point.

In the same (sort of) way, when I stopped writing, I stopped reading blogs too. I missed them sometimes, maybe for the comfortable routine and maybe for specific people who I could count on to make me laugh, cry (or laugh until I cried), spark a new idea, or challenge my thinking. But while I was not blogging, I wasn’t in the conversation—even though I rarely commented or specifically blogged about other’s posts.

I feel like I’m not explaining this very well. All I know is, when I wrote, I also read. When I didn’t write, I didn’t read. When I decided I was ready to write again, I started to read again. What I thought was an individual sport is really a team sport, even if it doesn’t even look like you are on the same field.

Who knew?

to be continued



To see her blog click here.

No comments: